We are fortunate enough to have a bumper crop of ripe raspberries. This long fall means the crop keeps producing and we keep eating. Finding good recipes is always fun and today I came up with this terrific and easy cake recipe.
Raspberry Upside Down Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 cups raspberries
1 8 oz. can almond paste (I use Solo) minus a couple spoonfuls that you need to taste.
1/4 cup sugar
3 TBS grated lemon peel
1 TBS vanilla
1/2 cup room temperature butter (or melted)
3 large eggs
1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Melt the butter in an 8 inch ovenproof skillet. I use my cast iron skillet.
2. Add brown sugar and mix together for a few minutes while slowly frying.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
1. In food processor mix together sugar and almond paste.
2. Add butter and mix together.
3. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each one before adding the next.
4. Add the lemon peel and vanilla and process for few more seconds.
5. Sift together flour and baking powder and with a spatula mix into the batter so that is doesn’t get over beaten.
Once the butter brown sugar mixture has cooled, add 3 cups of raspberries and spread evenly over the butter mixture. Spoon the batter over the raspberries spreading it evenly with a spatula.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tester inserted into top of cake (not through raspberries) comes out clean. Let sit for a couple minutes and then carefully invert unto platter. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.