CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH STAR ANISE
(inspired by Suzanne Fine Regional Cuisine)
I have been making this soup for years but with Suzanne’s inspiration I have added star anise to my recipe and it makes for a perfect marriage of flavor. This is one of the easiest recipes and one that everyone loves. It’s my favorite way to use butternut squash.
1 medium sized butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks (2-3 inches)
2 TBS butter
32 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
2 star anise pods
Salt and pepper
1 TBS brown sugar (to taste if necessary)
¼ cup milk or cream or ½ & ½ (optional)
- Fry the squash over high heat stirring frequently until the squash is slightly browned and very aromatic.
- Add salt and a lot of black pepper (to your taste) and fry a minute longer.
- Add broth and star anise and simmer for 20-30 minutes until squash is soft.
- Let cool, remove star anise, and puree in blender until very smooth.
- Adjust for seasoning and add sugar if needed. Squash vary in their sweetness.
- Refrigerate a day or more for best flavor.
- Reheat and if you'd like, add milk or cream before serving. I don't do think it needs milk or cream.