There are some people who are mayo-phobes. They hate anything even remotely associated with jarred mayo including any type of aioli. I am happy to offer this recipe for a mayo-less crabcake and mayo-less sauce.
Corn and crab cakes with lemon caper butter sauce
8 ounces crab meat (good quality, not canned or imitation)
2 green onions (scallions, finely chopped)
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 tsp old bay seasoning
cayenne pepper to taste
1 tsp dry mustard
2 egg yolks
1. Cook the corn in the heavy cream until the corn is cooked through but still crunchy (5-6 minutes) cool
2. Mix egg yolks into corn and cream mixture
3. Mix everything except bread crumbs together gently so as to keep the chunks of crabmeat intact.
4. Gently make small (2 inch) patties and coat them with the bread crumbs. This is difficult since they are very crumbly
5. Refrigerate until they are firm and easy to handle.
6. Fry in vegetable oil until brown on each side.
7. Serve with lemon caper sauce
Lemon Caper Sauce (hold the mayo)
Juice of one lemon
1 Tbs. capers
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. white wine or vermouth
1/4 heavy cream
1. Boil lemon juice and vermouth until reduced to 1-2 Tbs.
2. Add cream and reduce until thickened.
3. Wisk in butter a little at a time while stirring.
4. Add capers and season with salt
4. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Heat gently in microwave