Madeleines (Makes about 16)
2 large eggs
2/3 cups sugar (divided)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lemon using only the peel
1 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 ½ sticks of butter, melted and cooled slightly so as not to cook the eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Use madeleines mold with teflon coating sprayed with oil or greased with butter
3. In the food process process the peel of one lemon mixed with 1/3 cup of the sugar until lemon peel is finely incorporated into the sugar
4. Add eggs and the final 1/3 cup sugar and process together along with vanilla.
5. Add flour and pulse a few times until just blended
6. Gradually add the cooled butter processing until just blended
7. Let the batter stand at room temperature for at least two hours or refrigerate overnight or even for a couple of days.
8. Spoon about 1 TBS into each mold filling about ¾ of the mold
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown
10.Turn them out while still hot onto a rack.
11. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
12.These are best eaten warm but also keep for a few days in a tin.