RYE SOUR DOUGH BREAD
¾ cup sour dough starter
½ cup water
2 TBS molasses
1 TBS olive oil
1 ½ tsp salt
1 TBS toasted caraway seeds
2 ¼ cups Bread flour
¾ cup rye flour
1 ½tsp yeast
Combine in bread maker and check to make sure the consistency is correct after it has kneaded for a while. Once it has become a ball, poke it with your finger. You should have a tiny bit of stickiness but mostly it needs to be dry and in a ball. You may need to add more flour or water to adjust.
1. Let the bread maker do the kneading and first rise,
2. Remove the dough and put it into a bowl lined with parchment paper.
3. Let it rise again until double: one to two hours.
4. Half an hour before preheat oven to 450° .Place empty large enamel pot with cover (Le Creuset works great) that will just hold the bread in the oven to heat.
5. Slit the top of the bread and carefully place in the enamel pot. Don’t burn yourself lifting the lid (spoken from multiple experiences). Cover the pot and cook the bread for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove the pot from the oven. Carefully remove the bread and unless it is already evenly browned, place it as is, without parchment, in the oven and bake a few more minutes, checking regularly, until uniformly brown and crisp. Remove and cool. Serve with butter.