Eggplant with Miso Sauce
2 medium Japanese eggplant: the long thin eggplant
½ cup Sake
2 Tbs. mirin
½ tsp sugar
3 Tbs. light soy Miso or any Miso will work.
1 Tsp. toasted sesame seeds
¼ tsp sesame oil
- Slice the eggplant into ½ slices and fry in olive oil until brown and cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, Bring the Sake, mirin, and sugar to a boil and boil for 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- Turn off the heat and add the miso a spoon at a time, incorporating well. Miso should not be brought to a boil. The mixture should be slightly thickish.
- Add the sesame seeds and sesame oil. Taste and add more sugar or sesame oil according to your taste preference.
- The sauce can be made ahead and heated in the microwave (not boiled). Serve drizzled on the eggplant.