Thai Corn and Crawfish Chowder
4 ears corn shucked
1 TBS butter
1 large onion, chopped into small cubes
4 cups chicken broth, seafood broth or lobster broth
1 can coconut milk (14 ounce)
1 TBS Thai red curry paste
1 pound cooked crawfish tail meat (comes frozen) or shrimp, crab or lobster
Salt to taste
1. Fry the corn kernels over high heat in a frying pan with no oil and after 3 minutes add butter and when melted continue to cook for another 2 minutes of high heat before setting the corn aside.
2. Fry the onions in olive oil until soft and beginning to caramelize and then set aside
3. Defrost the crawfish and fry over high heat with some butter and olive oil in two batches for 5-6 minutes each and set aside. IF using other seafood skip this step if the seafood is already cooked.
4. Place the shucked corn cobs in the broth and boil together for 20 minutes to infuse the broth with the corn flavor. Then remove the cobs and discard.
5. Mix the red curry with 1 TBS of the coconut milk until thoroughly combined. Then add to broth along with the rest of the coconut milk and bring to simmer. Add the onion, corn and crawfish and bring to simmer again. Simmer for 10 minutes and taste for seasoning.
This chowder can be eaten immediately or refrigerated for the next day. If using lobster or shrimp do not add the seafood until right before serving and then add it to the simmering broth and simmer until warmed through. It is important not to overcook the seafood.