Williamsburg Orange Cake: Serves: 8
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 stick softened butter
1 cups sugar (divided)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 orange carefully cleaned and organic if possible: Using a knife cut of the peel and put in food processor with 1/2 cup sugar to chop finely
1 cup buttermilk
3 TBS cup orange juice mixed with 1/2 cup sugar (I don't use all of this glaze)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir raisins and nuts and grated orange/sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. In a food processor, cream the butter and blend in 1/2 cup of the sugar.
4. Beat the eggs into the creamed butter mixture.
5. Add vanilla and buttermilk and mix well.
6. Add the flour/orange mixture and pulse 3 or 4 times until just mixed.
7. Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or when a toothpick comes out with dry crumbs..
8. While the cake is baking, combine the orange juice with the remaining cup of sugar.
9. Spread this glaze over the top of the hot cake and immediately return it to the oven for about 5 minutes, until the glaze bubbles and the cake tests done when you insert a toothpick or wooden skewer near the center.
Let the cake cool in the pan before turning it out onto a serving plate.