These next two posts are my creations of upside down cake with the fruit also in the cake. So this applesauce upside-down cake has an applesauce spice cake with the apples caramelized over the top.
I started with my applesauce muffin recipe adapting it as a cake recipe.
- 1 ¼ cups applesauce (if sweetened cut down on the brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Using a 9 inch cast iron skillet melt the butter and add the sugar.
2. Arrange that apples cut side up in a decorative way over the melted butter and sugar. You can crowd them since they will shrink when cooked.
3. Cook undisturbed for 25-45 minutes or until the apples are tender, and the are light brown. Make sure not to burn the apples.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, Beat eggs first and then add the applesauce, sugar, oil, and buttermilk; beat well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and mix in cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt. Add to the applesauce mixture but don’t over stir.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour batter over the cooked apples, making sure to spread evenly almost to the edge.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes and then carefully reverse it unto a platter.