Banana Upside Down Cake
This cake is the best of a banana cake and an upside down cake. You have to love bananas because this cake is the essence of bananas. This is the cake you make when you have lots of really ripe bananas.
I cup brown sugar
2 Tbs. maple syrup
1/4 stick unsalted butter
4 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 stick softened or melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or a combination of buttermilk and sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt butter and sugar together along with maple syrup in 9 inch cast iron pan and let them caramelize until light brown. Be careful not to let it burn but no need to stir.
2. Place the bananas attractive over the butter sugar mixture and set aside
Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, two flours, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
2. Beat sugar and butter in another bowl until creamy.
3. Add egg and continue to beat until light and fully.
4. Add bananas,vanilla and milk and sour cream and beat together until blended.
5. Add flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Do not over mix
6. Carefully pour over the bananas in the iron skillet and spread evenly.
7. Place in center of oven and bake for about 45-55 minutes or until brown and tester comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before carefully inverting it unto a serving tray.
9. This cake is amazing served warm.