Corn and maple syrup panna cotta with seasonal fruit
This is an incredibly easy dessert to make and quite elegant. It isn’t quite as smooth as regular panna cotta but my guests liked the texture. If you want it really smooth you’ll need to put it through a sieve.
5 ears of corn taken: kernels taken off the cobs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 envelope gelatin
2 Tbs maple syrup
Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Put the gelatin in a bowl with 2 Tbs water to soften gelatin
2. Heat the corn kernels up in a heavy skillet for a few minutes so that they become fragrant. Add the heavy cream and simmer until the corn is cooked: 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the gelatin and stir together until the gelatin is dissolved
4. Put gelatin and corn mixture and maple syrup into blender and blend until very smooth. You will need a good blender for this. I have a Vita Mix which does a good job. A food processor will not make it smooth enough. If you want it smoother you will have to put it through a fine sieve after you add the milk. Add milk and pour into individual dishes. A good amount is about ½ cup per person which will give you 6-7 servings.
5. Chill in fridge until set. You can make this the day before.
6. Garnish with mint and serve with fruit cut into little pieces: blueberries, nectarines, peaches, kiwis or strawberries.